Thursday, October 18, 2007

So long, Joe.

My anti-Yankees feelings of shadenfreude have been tempered for the last couple of years by my respect, and sympathy, for Joe Torre. Now that he's pretty much shown himself the door (though, c'mon, that was clearly their intention), I think I'll be able to hate them much harder than ever before. And meanwhile, I think I'll be a minor fan of whichever team ends up hiring Joe.

Big game tonight. I'm with Manny, though. It's been a really stellar year already, and if it ends in the next couple days, I'll be OK with that. We've seen: A rookie toss a no-hitter, not one but two Japanese phenoms, the emergence of Jacoby Ellsbury, a ROY bid by Pedroia, a Cy Young bid by Josh Beckett, and Gold Glove bids from Youk, Coco, and possibly others, four home runs in a row, and oh, the AL East championship for the first time in a very long time. Yeah, I'll really be the most broken-up about the fact that I won't be able to watch baseball every day anymore.

5 comments:

Luke Murphy said...

Wow I was really surprised at the end of that post when it said "by Caleb" and not "by Dad."

Anyway, it has been a great year. I won't be crushed if the Red Sox lose tonight, but boy I would love to at least see them make a series out of this. Get it back to Fenway, put up a fight, go down hard, show some pride. If they lose, they lose. Baseball playoffs are mostly luck anyways.

Luke Murphy said...

Oh yeah I forgot to mention:

Cowboy up!!!

Dad said...

Luke, don't worry. In twenty-five years, Caleb will...oh, forget it.

Everybody 'round here has the right attitude, y'ask me.

Yeah, I'd like to watch baseball a couple more weeks.

Laura said...

Wow, I would not have ever noticed that Caleb wrote that if Luke hadn't mentioned it. It sounded like Dad. Ah well, way to stick it to em.

Can't they make baseball year round?

Anonymous said...

shadenfreude is seriously my favorite word in the whole world. It just says so much in that 1 word. I really wish we had a good English equivalent. Thanks for sharing in my joy of the misery of others especially the Yanks!

Michele