Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Paris

I would make this a comment rather than a stand-alone post if I could figure out how to put pictures into comments, but I don't think it's possible. Anyway. Dad may be right that Paris will win because of her versatility and undeniable talent -- but frankly, I hope not. This morning I realized that in her performance last night, she was like nothing so much as a Bratz doll come to life -- one of those horrible precocious-sexpot dolls for 10-year-old teenyboppers whose parents aren't paying attention. If you haven't seen them, here's a picture:


In fact, if you really want to consider the Paris-Bratz similarity and you have a strong stomach, you can go here and watch a video of a whole "rock band" of Bratz dolls in performance. (Click "Videos and Music" at the top of the page, and then click "Rock Angelz" in the drop-down menu. "Rock Angelz" -- I ask you!!)

Don't get me wrong -- I think Paris is amazingly gifted and that she is headed for great things. But she's not there yet. After that first mind-bogglingly good audition, her performances have been more about "look at me, I'm so cool" than about music. Maybe that's the right formula for a show like "American Idol" -- but I would rather see one of the true singers win, like Elliott or Catherine or Mandisa or even Taylor, rather than see it go to a wind-up performing teenybopper doll. Sure, in the end, Paris is going to be at least as good as any of the rest of them, and probably better -- but first she needs to do some growing up and to get over herself a little bit.

4 comments:

Dad said...

Yeah, I'd say that's about right. And her performance last night was, if not grotesque, then certainly something I'm not interested in seeing again.

But it was just a part, as in what an actor plays. The girl can do anything, and has shown more versatility than the others. I like her perkiness and her indefatigability. OTOH, I don't think it was just an 0ff-hand remark when Ryan called her Princess P.

I'd like to see one of the others win, too. Taylor, Elliott, Catherine. But Paris is what I think of as an "American Idol". I'm not saying I'll go out and buy her records.

Of course, Kellie's Kuter.

Luke Murphy said...

There's a fine line between being versatile and being able to do anything, or having no character and being....I'm really not sure what's a good word here, compliant? An empty shell with no soul who others mold into whatever they want? I'm not saying Paris is a completely empty shell, but she leans much further towards that side than towards the versatile side. And she does sing with soul of course, but it's not an original kind of soul that I appreciate. It's the kind you can see in any bimbo pop singer nowadays that gets old VERY fast. She may be voted an "American Idol" when it's all said and done, but I don't think she is one. Last night's performance ruined everything that I liked about Paris.

Now I wish that I hadn't switched Chris Daughtry up to 4th, because if he keeps doing what he did yesterday than he won't last at all. The only good ones last night were Katherine, Mandisa, Elliott, and Taylor. When I watched Taylor again later, I was really quite impressed. I'd like to see more of that kind of thing from him, only maybe with a little more showcase of his vocal abilities. And with a major outfit change, Simon hit the nail on the head with that one.

Caleb said...

wait, back it up. Did you just say "sexpot?"

Mom said...

I did indeed. Take a look at the dolls and tell me if there's a better word for them!!