Friday, March 24, 2006

Dish Network Woes

I've been getting anxious about the upcoming season. There is no Yes Network on Dish Network! It's finally dawning on me that a) I won't be able to see a lot of Yankees games, but that's sort of OK, but b) Red Sox/Yankees games will be blacked out here because Yes Network owns the rights and I don't have YES.

So I sent an email to DISH. IT follows:

Question: Why is the YesNetwork not on my sports package? If I don't have
the YesNetwork, how will I watch Yankees games?
Thanks, Tom Murphy

They replied:

Dear Mr. Murphy,
Thank you for your email. DISH Network apologizes for not being able to carry the YES Network. At this point, we have done all we can do to reach a reasonable agreement. In the past we have made an attempt to carry the YES Network on an a la carte basis in hopes of making it available to our customers interested in receiving this channel at an additional charge. This way, customers who don't watch the Yankees are not penalized with a higher rate. Again, there are still many ways customers can get New York Yankees baseball on Dish Network - Blackout restrictions may apply.
· DISH Network customers will have access to more than 30 of the most popular regular season Yankee games throughout the season
· At least one game per week on average
· As well as all of the playoffs and world series on the National Channels – ESPN or FOX
· In addition, DISH Network customers subscribing to the New York local network package will also be able to see these games on WCBS
DISH Network works hard to limit price increases and YES would have resulted in a significant price increase. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Christina C.
DISH Network eCare

I replied:

Christina,

Does this mean that Red Sox/Yankees games broadcast by NESN will be blacked out in central NY? Or will I be able to see them with Season Ticket?

Had I been aware that DISH Network did not carry the YES Network, I never would have signed a contract. As it is, I will switch back to DirecTV once my contract is up.

Thanks for answering the question.

Tom Murphy

They replied:

Dear Mr. Murphy,

Thank you for your response. We cannot guarantee that you will be able to get all the Red Sox/Yankees games since our Regional Sports Networks (like NESN) are subject for blackouts. Unfortunately, with season tickets like the MLB Extra Innings package, you will not be able to get games of the New York Mets and New York Yankees since they are your home teams.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.



Sincerely,

Christina C.
DISH Network eCare

I replied:

Christina,

Well, I certainly have further concerns. Why would I want to spend all this money on a DISH system, a sports package, and MLB Extra Innings and not be able to watch Res Sox/ Yankees games? Why was it not pointed out to me that DISH does not carry the YES Network before I signed an 18 Mo. contract? I'm sure that I'm not the only baseball fan who is very disappointed with the DISH network. If DISH is not planning on acquiring the YES Network, you and I will be parting ways!

Thomas F. Murphy


Does anybody have any suggestions? My Lawyer says I can't get out of the contract, but that is what she always says. It will cost me about $150 to terminate the DISH service. HELP!

4 comments:

Lucy said...

I'm sure they'll be watching the Yankees vs. Red Sox games at the Clippinger house. You could go there for them.

And, maybe videotape these watchings, so I can see the brawls after they happen.

Dad said...

Sure! I could go there to watch potilical debates, too! Great idea!

Judi said...

You'd be more than welcome!

Dad said...

That's what you say now.