Sunday, May 03, 2009

Watch this horse win this race


Mine That Bird won the Kentucky Derby yesterday -- a $9,500 horse whose trainer, a former rodeo rider who's on crutches after breaking his leg in a motorcycle accident, drove to the race in his pickup truck with the horse in a trailer hitched behind. (Other horses were owned by such luminaries as, for instance, the ruler of Dubai.) Here's a screen shot of the beginning of the race. Mine That Bird is the horse in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen -- dead last, far behind the rest.


He stays there until the last 25 seconds of the two-minute race. Watch the whole thing. At about the moment the announcer says the name "Chocolate Candy," R2-D2 apparently reactivates the hyperdrive. Mine That Bird zips from the back right through the field and sneaks through an absurdly narrow space on the rail into the lead. ("I had enough room," explains the jockey, Calvin Borel. "He's a small horse.") He's already a couple of lengths beyond the rest by the time the announcer blinks and says belatedly, as the horse pounds effortlessly toward the finish line, "That's, uhhh, Mine that Bird taking the lead..."

The ultimate underdog story! Here's the whole race:

11 comments:

Laura said...

Wow. I've watched this video a couple times now, and I STILL can't understand how he does it. Amazing.

Speaking of sports, the Celtics/Bulls series was insane. It's the first time I've paid attention to the NBA in a decade, at least.

Caleb said...

I missed the Bulls/Celtics series, but heard a lot about it. Sounds nuts. I enjoyed watching a couple Celtics games in the playoffs last year, I'll tune in once/if they get on network TV.

The Derby ended up being a lot of fun to watch. I'll never really understand how one horse can suddenly start going basically twice the speed as the rest of the field, but it seemed like Mine The Bird did. It was crazy.

The best part was the jockey, though. His interview right after the race was hilarious and touching. The interview of the trainer was also funny, when he basically told the reporter off and stalked away (as best as he could on crutches, at least).

Laura said...

Yeah, I didn't watch any of the games. But, I read about them and paid attention to who won. That's saying something considering how much I hate basketball.

Any video links to those interviews, Caleb?

Mom said...

Dad and I just watched an interview with the jockey who explained it, more or less, like this: "Them other horses wasn't runnin'."

Caleb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mom said...

DON'T CLICK THE LINK IN CALEB'S COMMENT!! I did, got some message about insecure browsing, followed by a slew of security messages, and I haven't been able to fix it or go anywhere else yet -- my browser won't work. I'm still working on it. Meanwhile, from Dad's computer, I apparently can't delete Caleb's comment, either -- no trash cans. Argh. but don't click that link!!!

Caleb said...

Mom, it's a youtube link. I just opened it on Kate's computer - straight to Youtube with no problem. I'm guessing you have something else going on.

Caleb said...

I went ahead and deleted it (you can only trash your own comments). The youtube URL included a feedback to the website where i first found the video, which is definitely not something that should have set your browser off. The site's name in the URL just lets youtube track who's watching the videos. No idea why that would have set your browser off, if that's what happened. I don't really think it could have been, though.

Here's a direct link to the Youtube video...jockey interview is at 3:30.

Mom said...

So it would seem. I definitely did not get YouTube when I clicked on it. I just ran SpyBot, which found and removed a hijacker called CoolWebSearch. Now things seem to be functioning again. Sorry for the false alarm . . . .

Mom said...

I doubt it was anything about your link that did it, Caleb. I think my computer just got grabbed however it got grabbed. I go a lot of places. Anyway, I think it's okay now. I really need to update my virus protection. Thanks!

Mom said...

On another topic: Dad and I set a new world's record this year on getting the pool up and running. As of yesterday the pump is on and humming. It's spring!!