Saturday, April 07, 2007

Baseball Thoughts

Mike Myers, the pitcher, is Joe Torre's long lost son. Really. Line 'em up, side by side.

Matsuzaka has a great face and a winning smile. I was lukewarm to having him join the Red Sox. But he's growing on me. Also, he fields his position well. I like JD Drew, too. I like these rural guys (Papelbon) who spend their time hunting in the offseason.

I really like the Yankees announcers. Jerry and Don are fine and funny, but the Yankees announcers are really baseball people and very serious. Lots of good analysis and no more biased than the RS. Also, I'll take YES over NESN. The endless promos on NESN are tiresome. The babes are nice, too, but they take it all more seriously on YES. Michael Kay has a great voice.

If you haven't checked out 38pitches yet, I highly recommend it. Schilling is unique and special. His writing is far more interesting than what you'll find on the sports pages.

Incredible win today for the Yankees. I'd have preferred that they lose, but I'm happy for ARod. He is a great player (like it or not) and the fans there won't get off his back. In four games, the Yankees starter has made it through the fifth inning only once. And why is Brian Cashman considered such a great baseball guy? Why isn't he able to construct an omnipotent team with the resources he's given? Just asking.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I concur on YES vs. NESN. I like Jerry Remy, but I wish he'd alternate with someone who delivers more knowledge and less shtick. I have no idea what he sounds like or how shy he is, but, even if he's off the chart on both counts, I'd love to hear Bill James analyze a game. (He's still in the Sox employ, correct?)

Dad said...

I don't know if he is or not. I think I'd like a guy like Joe Girardi. I don't mind Orsillo, but it's a whole different approach from YES. And I prefer the YES approach.

Luke Murphy said...

One thing I have definitely noticed is that outside of YES and NESN, all baseball commentary is absolutely dreadful. It's not just the Chicago White Sox, every single one of those fox sports regional channels (that I've heard) at least are awful. The commentators are endlessly biased and obnoxious and stupid.

Luke Murphy said...

Oops, it was supposed to say "...regional channels (that I've heard at least) are awful."