Friday, June 06, 2008

Greetings From the Reagan!

So it turns out that I can sign in to blogger from the ship. I thought that I couldn't before. Anyway here's a bit more about soldiers from the Ayn Rand Institute. I'm a little confused about why the article was published in late May, but refers to Veteran's Day instead of Memorial Day. I think maybe it was originally published somewhere for Veteran's Day, or they're just confused. Either way it's a good article.

What We Owe Our Soldiers.

Anyway I'm having a great time out here in the Pacific (the water is so blue!). Today there was a special ceremony remembering the Battle of Midway from WWII. An Admiral gave an address in which he said that the American victory in that battle against a much larger, more advanced enemy, "was not a miracle." It was good to hear that fact be recognized. I'll be eating dinner with this Admiral tomorrow.

The ceremony was followed by an air show that was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. F-18s flying all over the place, making sonic booms right past the ship, doing aerobatics, etc.. The Navy really has some unbelievable technology, and it's incredible (and very loud!) to watch man's great feat of conquering the sky in action. The feeling I had watching the whole thing was a proud respect for the accomplishments of the land of the free and home of the brave, combined with a pure childish giddiness and a longing to produce my own similar accomplishments someday. It is no accident (and no miracle) that the country founded on reason and individualism now has the most advanced military in the world. The show really confirmed my choice to be a jet pilot, and I really can't wait to be flying in a couple years as long as all goes to plan.

I've got some cool pictures/videos, so you can all see them when I get back.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Luke. What does the size of the carrier feel like? Does it feel confining, or does it feel like it would take forever to walk from one end of it to the other?

Luke Murphy said...

Neither really. It's definitely not confining, but it doesn't take that long to walk from one end to the other. On the other hand, it's been a week and I still haven't even come close to seeing everything. Workin' on it though.

Mom said...

I can't wait to see your pictures.

Is it hot in the Pacific? Is any part of the ship air-conditioned?

Luke Murphy said...

Very hot. Some parts are air-conditioned and I try to spend as much time in them as possible.

Laura said...

Hey Luke, glad you're having fun!

I hear it isvery hot in the States, which is a riot considering how pleasant it is here.