Thursday, October 06, 2005

Take heart, Sox fans

In 1999 they were down 2-0 to Cleveland in the ALDS. They came back and won it. In 2003, they were down 2-0 to Oakland in the ALDS. They came back and won it. In 2004, we know what they did. Am I prediciting a comeback this year? No. It's a different team. But I'm staying positive. Even if they lose, it's been three straight years of great baseball, and the prospects are good for the future, considering the minor leaguers, the ownership, and the management.

What I'd like to see next year is Papelbon, Hansen, Delcarmen, Alvarez, and Dinardo on the staff, and less reliance on Wells/Shilling/Miller types.

In the meantime, there should be 2 or 3 exciting games left, minimum.

3 comments:

Dad said...

While I'm at it: There are 30 teams in the Major Leagues. There are eight playoff spots. More than 70% of the teams don't even make it to the playoffs. All teams save one end up being disappointed. You can't ask for more than to make the playoffs three years in a row.

Also, some wag on xmradio this am said, "It's the curse of the Graffanino!"

Caleb said...

It's been about 12 hours, and I am so insanely tired of Gaffe-inino and "Curse of Bellhorn" talk. Where were the bats for the next 4 innings? Did Graffy give up the 3 run HR?

I don't think we'll be seeing squat from Miller or Wells next season. Wells will retire, and Miller's injuries will force his release. I too, look forward to a season with the young'uns you mentioned, plus Hanley Ramirez, Dustin Pedroia (2b) and a couple other young SPs. We could have a very young team in the next couple years, and it could be a lot of fun.

I feel strangely detached from the playoffs this year, probably because I can't watch the Sox games. To remedy that, you'll probably see me at home either Fri. or Sat. night so i can at least catch one game of the series.

Dad said...

Oh, yeah, I agree. I blame nothing on Graffy. I just thought "Curse of the Graffanino" was cute.

We'll see if Wells reitres. He'd hafta say no to 4-9 Million.

Better come Friday if you want to be sure to see a game.