Monday, September 24, 2007

Red Sox!! and c.

Argh. Back to a game and a half. But I think the RS are starting to gather way. In Gordon Ede's last mailbag, fans were just livid at Francona, particularly for going back to Gagne, but I love the guy. He conducts himself like a man. He gives reasonable explanations for his actions. It appears to me that he has been successful at quitting chewing tobacco. I just like him, for the same reasons I like Timlin and Wakefield. Yeah, they're playing a boy's game in silly uniforms, but they are mature. I think he's handled manny and Gagne and the various problems with Drew and Lugo very well. You hear of no complaints from the players, who are all more or less grown men and Francona treats them that way.

The Post-season will be great. Should I call for HDTV today?

Lotsa stuff I've wanted to post lately but been without the camera at the right time, or just can't seem to make the words come out right. But, the problem with having a blog is the same as the problem with having a dog. They need to be maintained. If you don't put stuff on the blog, it gets "moldy" to use Caleb's word. And Monday through Friday, if I leave the house and go to the barn which I prolly do half a dozen times a day, Panda thinks we're goin somewhere, and when I walk past the garage, he slinks into the garage with cowardly dog look which I hate.

So I will continue to post and comment as much as possible. I don't want a moldy blog. This means that a lot of what I say will be poorly expressed, because quantity will be trumping quality. Also, I have this marvelous little new laptop that I bought on ebay for $429 (delivered to the door!) and typing on it is taking some getting used to. Please post and comment so we can keep this blog alive.

Random thoughts: I wished i had the camera yesterday when Mom drove the new JD tractor. She was cute! And the tractor is marvelous. They thought of pretty much everything, which is a lot more than New Holland thought of. The JD works SO well. It is a Lexus compared to the NH's, um, Passat. I will post pictures. And my wife is the Rolls-Royce of wives.

Selling things. The danged Sunfish is gone (but not the trailer) as is the upstairs piano. Sold a cow clipper on Ebay for $90. Luke's Mountain Board is listed now. The weights and bench and the old lawnmower are in the Pennysaver, but I never get much response from the pennysaver.

We're building an addition on the heifer barn for dry cows. In the wintertime, we can dry a cow off, send her out to the dry cow barn and put a milking cow in her place.

Here's something that may be useful to you students:

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

It's a free conversion program. " Convert is a free and easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most popular units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, power, density, pressure, energy and many others, including the ability to create custom conversions!"

Both Caleb and Luke looked like they would do well in pick 'em yesterday, but, alas, no. C'mon, you guys, we need to win some weeks.

To the barn.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott and I enjoyed an old movie with Alec Guiness last evening, "The Horse's Mouth", and he reminded me so much of you, Tom -- both the character in his own way, and Alec in his looks -- both appearance and facial expressions.

Lucy was home for week-end, and headed back with queen mattress folded in back of Tucson, and plans to take GRE's next Sat. in Albany. She seems to spend her life reading and writing -- which when it's Will Shakespeare and Toni Morrison isn't bad!

James reported his recently operated upon leg is feeling wonderful, and he shaved 10 min. off his personal best on his basic 6 mile walk. The bedroom furniture ordered while I was visiting arrived, freeing up his platform bed for Lucy, and hence her need for the mattress.

Last week of baseball season -- sigh. Perhaps I'll write the great American novel with all the free time . . .

Mom said...

The new tractor is fun to drive! Very easy, very safe-feeling (a significant value when you are me.) I believe I might actually use the thing and enjoy the process. As for Rolls Royces and all that, let me just say that my husband (and your father, or some of your fathers, anyway) has fixed a truly extraordinary number of broken things around here recently, is full of ideas and enterprise, and besides that is extremely fun to be around. (And Judi says he looks like Alec Guinness! Guess we'd better see that movie. I've read the book...)

Summer is officially over: we are closing the pool. For once we are going to get it done while the sun is still shining and before it is actually a cold and miserable job.

One thing we can avoid, by posting on the blog more, is that old bugaboo a BORING LIFE. Let's do it!

Dad said...

Judi, if you don't mind my asking, what was James's op for? Put it in an email if you don't want it public. Hope he has recovered well.

Free time? Free time? Playoffs, lady, playoffs!.

"The Horse's Mouth" by Joyce Cary is a wonderful book. In High school, Jeff Olmsted did a cutting from it for the O'donnell Prize speaking contest. Hilarious. He was talking on the phone disguising his voice and threatening to cut the other person's tripes out and burn their house down. Jeff won the contest and I got second with either a cutting from Lenny Bruce's "How to Talk Dirty and Influence People" or as Holden Caulfield in his hotel room when he gets a visit from Maurice the elvator guy/pimp who wants to collect his $15, even though he said, "Five bucks a throw, fifteen bucks 'til noon."

The goddam movies. They'l kill ya.

And that's not the first time I've been resembled to Alec Guiness. "Use the Force, Luke."

Cassie, um, for which of the children am I not the father? Can I pick one?

Anonymous said...

Not to steal Mom's thunder, but my right leg underwent EVLT (i.e., laser obliteration of my greater saphenous vein) and ambulatory phlebectomy on a bunch of varicose branches off the GSV. It turns out that I have serious reflux problems in both GSVs, which led to my legs swelling up and hurting during even low-impact exercise like walking, so there were pretty low limits on how far and fast I could walk before my legs stopped working. (It also led to varicosities, which are ugly, but...whatever, leg appearance is extremely low on my list of priorities.) I didn't realize any of this was caused by a vein issue until a few months back -- having no other point of comparison, I just assumed that's how legs work.

You really don't need your GSV, though, so I got rid of mine. I couldn't exercise beyond strolling for two weeks afterwards, so this weekend was the first time I was able to really try it out, and my right leg is ridiculously good. The reflux issues in the left are less severe than those that were in the right, any my left leg is historically stronger/faster than my right, but the right leg is now clearly dragging around the left. I can't wait to get the same treatment on the left, which is currently scheduled for...early February. *sigh*

Tom, is whoever provides your TV going to have TBS HD in time for the playoffs? My cable company is not. So every playoff game I watch will be beset with either a non-HD picture or Tim McCarver. Why does MLB do this to us?

Dad said...

I think they hate us. But why do you need TBS? Do they have the playoffs? OUch.

Anyway, i called irecttv this morning and htey weren't willing to give me enough to sign up for HD now. So, I'm going to wait til spring when my contract is up and I have more leverage. No HD for me, though I do have the TV set. OF course, I could panic and change my mind.

I believe the GSV is used for CABGs (Cardiac Artery Bypasses) to replace occluded arteries. I don't know how the vein can take the pressures involved in a cardiac artery, but I guess they do.

Glad your op went well and you're walking better.

Anonymous said...

Yup, TBS has the whole division-series round and the NLCS this year.

Bypass grafts are a bit of a concern, but...a refluxing GSV is already dilated by the pressures where it's at, so my understanding is that a CABG surgeon wouldn't use it unless absolutely necessary and that there are other options (a couple of arteries, a number of less-than-ideal veins) that would be used ahead of a cruddy GSV. Plus, I will still have my GSVs below the knee, since that's the limit of my valvular incompetence.

Dad said...

How the hell did TBS end up with all that? Do they have the nationwide exposure? Did they have any of it last year?

MLB drives me nuts.