Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Almost done

After a break for summer work, it's back to the siding. The kestrels are gone. I don't like it up at the top of the staging working around the power lines, but somebody's gotta do it and I haven't been able to talk Mom into going up. Click to enlarge and you can see the power lines running through the staging, and you can see what's left of the 8X13 beam that ran the length of the
gable end cornice, and could easily have supplied enough wood to build an entire modern house, and which was structurally completely unnecessary. Fortunately, for our benighted forests, they don't build 'em like they used to.

2 comments:

Caleb said...

I started that project about, oh, ten years ago?

Dad said...

I wasn't gonna bring it up, but since you mentioned it...

I figured 10 years was long enough to wait.

There's still more to do, though. The rest of the back and the gable end on the driveway side. I mean, if you ever start to feel guilty about not having finished what you started.

And by the time that's done it'll be time to do the front again.

And, don't tell anybody, but the clapboards on the front are a different size than the ones on the other sides. And, fortunately, you can't see some of my "handiwork" from the ground.

And. The DEC stopped by today. Wanted to know if I had a permit for what I was doing. A permit, I said? You're destroying wildlife habitat, they said.

They're buried out behind the calf barn. Shh.