Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Snowy Valentine

Love at first sight is easy to understand; it's when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.
-- Amy Bloom

It's usually Dad who posts something romantic on this blog, although I am supposed to be the wordier person in this marriage. Some people might have imagined that I would be the more romantic person in this marriage, too, but I will tell you a secret -- though it's not much of a secret, really, to regular readers of this blog: that's not true. Dad is one deeply romantic guy, and I am one profoundly lucky woman. Today, it's my turn to say so.

Thirty years ago today, just a few weeks after moving into our first apartment on Washington Street in Greenwich Village, we celebrated our first Valentine's Day by independently buying each other the same gift -- a bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry. (Somebody must have told the Harvey's people about that, because much later on, I believe they made a commercial with that plot. Furthermore, Wal-Mart apparently has a blog somewhere about a couple who drive cross-country visiting Wal-Marts along the way. Dad and I have somehow become the model for corporate American marketing schemes!)

Anyway. Thirty years later, I'd like to go out and buy a commemorative bottle of Valentine's Day Harvey's, but we already have some, and anyway, there's a blizzard out there today. So instead, let me just say this: Tom, for thirty years, you've been my Valentine, my rock, my sweetheart, and my friend. You fix my car, you put up with my checkbook, you make me popcorn, and lately, you even cook my dinner! You are endlessly surprising, endlessly interesting, and better yet, after all these years, you are still the funniest person I know.

As people do, the kids who bought the Harvey's in New York City soon changed into different people, who soon changed again, and then again, and again, and again. You remember me in each of those incarnations, and I remember you, and it's the great miracle of my life that we have managed to love one another through them all. We have built a family and a history together. I can't wait to find out what we are going to build together next. Happy Valentine's Day, honey. I love you.

11 comments:

Dad said...

Anybody seen my thunder? I was going to write a valentine, but I think I'll just be the recipient this year. You can reread my '05 and '06 valentines if you are so inclined.

Anyway, what could be better than a VD blizzard, with my valentine home from work?

It really has been magical, hasn't it?

I love you, too. Happy Valentine's Day.

Anonymous said...

i do"tn know waht she seez in him.

Judi said...

Panda, Panda, Panda -- it's really difficult, but if you can overlook his politics, he really is one of the warmest, kindest, funniest people there is in this world.

I met my Valentine on a day much like today -- the brilliant sun and blue sky after the February Blizzard of '72, when, like S-E today, Mt Markham where Scott taught, had a 2nd snow day in a row, and our cupid invited us both to lunch -- going back to Cassie's initial quote, it was "like at first sight" for me -- which ain't a bad start for a 35 year relationship!

So this year's V.D. blizzard meant we spent the day alone at the office, and the evening at home together, instead of at the mtgs. to which we had been committed -- and we discovered we had each bought fancy pastries as a Valentine treat -- will upscale bakeries use us in their ads???

Anonymous said...

He maks me go to teh barn.


I chase the kities.


dam kities.

Dad said...

Panda, it's Kitties. Two ts.

Judi, thanks for posting your VD story. It's sweet. BTW, no one has ever called me "warm" before. Thanks!

I'm thinking next year we'll celebrate Valentine's Day Week!

Anonymous said...

"BTW, no one has ever called me "warm" before."

Must be global warming.

Happy V-Day Murphies and friends,
Jason

Mom said...

Good one, Jason!

Dad said...

Uh, pretty funny, Jason. But don't you think the global warming jokes are my domain? And don't you think it might have been wise and perhaps beneficial to you to say something like, "Gee, that's interesting, I've always found Mr. Murphy to be warm, too?" I'm not trying to tell you what to say, Jason. I'm just providing a little guidance, particularly in the area of being solicitious to certain rather significant elders in your life.

Anonymous said...

Heh-heh-heh.

Anonymous said...

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery." - Charles Caleb Colton

Dad said...

Jason, I think you left the word "form" out of the quote. even so, it made me laugh.

You're moving up the list.