Monday, January 29, 2007

We might be in trouble.

You have probably seen the messages on the Blogger log-in page about the "new" and supposedly better version of Blogger that requires users to move their blogs and establish a new Google account. I've been ignoring them because I don't want to be a guinea pig for something that doesn't have all the bugs worked out of it yet (and this apparently doesn't) and because I have enough to think about without going through the hassle of moving the blog -- especially since it's a team blog, which evidently presents special problems.

However, Blogger, in its infinite wisdom, has apparently started forcing some of its bloggers to move. See here. So far, they apparently haven't selected us -- but at some point, they might. I am worried about losing our two years of archives if this doesn't go right, and the whole thing really annoys me. But I am afraid I am going to have to look into doing this so that we'll be ready if we have to. I will let you all know what I figure out.

Does anybody know how to save the blog archives somewhere else, in some other form, in case Blogger does lose or destroy them somehow? James, might you have any thoughts on this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our blog got moved to the new system earlier this month, and it was pretty painless. The one glitch was that it appeared everything had been wiped out the first time I logged in after the move, as I was sent to a "new account" page. However, this was just to set up my new Blogger account -- once I was past that page, both of my blogs were available. Of course, I don't think anyone else from the Clippinger clan has signed on to the blog since the move. (Slackers!)

I did save the whole blog directory on the server before the move, just in case, but I'm not sure if/how you can do that on Blogspot.

Mom said...

Thanks, James, that's reassuring. Maybe I can stop worrying about the changeover . . .