Sunday, December 11, 2005

John Lennon

I simply cannot understand the deification of this guy. Yes, he penned some of the most beautiful songs ever written when he was teamed with Paul. Once they split up, neither ever came close to their previous united glory. Still, "Imagine" is widely regarded as one of the greatest "rock" songs ever, which just makes me want to puke. It is insipid musically and lyrically. The melody is without any grace, and the lyrics are childish. I reproduce them here for your pleasure:


Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possessions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

Written by: John Lennon© Bag productions inc.


" I hope someday you'll join us..."

Oh, right, John. You're living without possessions? I don't think so.

Most of Lennon's life looks to me like one big thumb-sucking, navel-contemplating love-in with himself.

2 comments:

Caleb said...

Most of Lennon's work was with the Beatles, and while his solo stuff was disappointing (just like Paul's, interestingly enough), his early work is more than enough for me to understand the deification. His post-Beatles life doesn't seem significantly different from that of other rock stars, or wealthy hippies for that matter.

Yeah, Imagine sucks. Frankly, I can barely listen to it. But on classic rock/oldies radio stations, it's just one bad Lennon song surrounded by 50 great ones. So I can forgive him.

Anonymous said...

Well stated, Caleb. I agree.