Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Contest!

We were going to forego a Christmas contest this year, but have decided to succumb to the pressure from certain quarters. This year's contest is a guess-the-number-of-hay-bales contest. What does hay have to do with Christmas, you ask. Well, the Baby Jesus was born in a manger. Around here, we put hay in mangers. Voila! A connection!

All you have to do is guess how many hay bales are in a section of our hay mow. If you are the closest, you win $25. Yes, that's right, twenty-FIVE dollars. There is no penalty for going over or under. Just be the closest. Unfortunately, it will take three to four months to determine the precise number of bales, as that is how long it will take me to feed them out. I will count every one and provide periodic updates. Ready?

Starting in the NW corner of the barn the section with this particular hay runs 36' along the west wall to the SW corner. It turns 90 degrees and runs along the south wall 16'. It turns 90 degrees and runs 10' in a northerly direction, and turns 90 degrees and runs 8' in an easterly direction to a post. It then runs 16' in a northerly direction to another post, turns 90 degrees, and runs 12' westerly to another post. It then turns 90 degrees and runs 10' northerly to the north wall of the barn. Lastly it turns 90 degrees and runs 12' along the north wall to the NW corner where it started. The average height of the hay is (very) approximately 10', with the peak height being about 14'. A hay bale measures 14" by18" by a short 3', with plenty of variation in dimension and shape.

Please note that not all 90 degree turns are in the same direction. If you diagram it, it will look like a large rectangle with two smaller rectangles removed from two corners. Also, some of the hay is "stacked" and some is not. Stacked hay packs more bales in the same space as unstacked hay. There is a small amount of loose hay under the bales. It is mostly insignificant except in an area right under the mow conveyor where it might displace a dozen or so bales.

Some pictures are provided for perspective. I'll gladly clarify anything that needs clarification.

Deadline for entries is 1/1/06 at 0000.




The post on the right is the second post in the description. The bales in the left foreground are not in the pile.




The post on the left is the second post in the description. The post beyond it is the third.


The post on the right is the first post in the description.

The first post.

The first post again.

21 comments:

Caleb said...

I'm not guessing first.

Anonymous said...

Um, could we have an easier Christmas Contest question please?

Anonymous said...

Twenty-FIVE dollars? Wow. Maybe that's proportional with the hay bales. Yeah, I don't want to guess first either. Maybe we could do this by email?

Dad said...

Good idea, FTF. If you don't want to post your entry, send it to murphytc@frontiernet.net. Make sure I know who you are.

Aurora said...

you don't need measurements and all that JUNK. the answer, obviously, is 827

Caleb said...

OK, I'll hazard a guess to get this started.

299

...plus or minus 100?

Anonymous said...

its already been started caleb. pay attention.

Anonymous said...

im going with a guess of 850 because we feed about 10 bales a day and with the time spand of 2 or 3 months it has to be about right because if its under that amount tom will have to buy hay

Anonymous said...

I'll guess 900.

Caleb said...

My first guess was completely random, and I would like to withdraw it. After some scientific and mathematical analyses, my estimate falls right in the middle of the guesses of Aurora, Jeremy, and Lucy. So I'm going to subtract a few from my estimate for my final guess of 800. Final answer.

Dad said...

A little twist. I'll accept modified guesses until 2006. Your last guess is the one we will use. The time stamp will decide if it was in on time or not.

So guess away. It doesn't cost a thing.

Mom said...

910

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is almost the best Christmas Contest ever. Even the name has a ring to it that I like. And I especially love the fabulous prizes. My guess: 960. Obviously.

Anonymous said...

We're leaving here for Murphymas is 9 minutes and I haven't packed. Yikes. So this gives me inspiration to guess 999 bales of hay. I think it's going to be a big year for hay bales. I can't wait to see what the contest is for President's Day. There WILL be a President's Day contest won't there. See you in a few.

Spongy Penguin said...

I've decided to post anyway. What the heck, I'll go 763. Does it have to be in integers? Guess what mom-- we're leaving here in two minutes (now) and I have packed, but I'm going 763 anyway.

Anonymous said...

There are 1430 bales of hay, no doubt!!!!

Luke Murphy said...

All I know is this. Whenever we get a new load of hay and I have to count the bails as they come into the loft, I always look at the wagon and take a guess, and everytime the actual number is about twice what I guess. Thus my guess is 1431.

Dad said...

Ok, Sports fans!

recap:

Fax 763
Caleb 800
Aurora 827
Jeremy 850
Laura 880
Lucy 900
Mom 910
Rob 960
Claire 999
Unca Don 1430
Luke 1431

Using my rough measurements and the measurements of the ideal hay bale, it looks like the maximum number of bales that can fit in the space is about 1460. But remember, the measurements are rough and there is room for error. But if I had to wager, I'd bet on Unca Don. Claire and Luke are good second choices.

To date, I've removed 108 bales.

Anonymous said...

Catherine said I can join in late (so if you disagree with a little rule bending, you have to take it up with her, and she's a lawyer you know, so be careful if you do). I predict 1380 bales based on my total and absolute lack of experience with hay, barns, or cows and how much they eat.

Anonymous said...

Catherine said I can join in late (if you disagree with this little bit of rule bending, you will have to take it up with her, and she's a lawyer you know, so be careful if you do). I predict 1380 bales based on my total and absolute lack of experience with hay, barns, or cows and how much they eat.

Dad said...

Hi Joycie,
Welcome to our blog. You made, I think, an excellent guess as to the number of bales. I should say, it would have been excellent had it been made before the deadline, and before my recap post. The problem is this: I'm afraid if I allow your entry, I'll have to deal with Aurora, and dealing with Aurora can be a challenge. Therefore, I'm sorry that I can't allow it. But please feel free to enter the next contest, which may be as soon as Valentine's Day.