Sunday, October 18, 2009

The waterfall

Dad and I walked through the bright, crisp October afternoon to the falls today. In all these years, Dad had never been there before. We took a shortcut across Julio's land and through his woods rather than walking upstream from the River Road the way we have before. It's right there, just a short walk and a slither down a steep bank from the back of the field.







I didn't get a good picture of the whole ravine -- I'm having lots of trouble lately getting my camera to take non-blurry pictures. But here's how it looked in 1912:

There's much more water going over the top today than there is in the old picture, and a smooth surface of shale with one big boulder rather than all those broken rocks. It almost looks as if the falls were not as high then as they are now.

Looking upstream, the water has worn a hole right through the cliff wall on the north side of the stream. Again, I had trouble getting a non-blurry picture:


This is looking back toward the falls through the hole. Hey, who's that guy?


Above the big waterfall is a smaller waterfall, trying to catch up:

I had fun taking pictures of the water going over the falls.










We live in a beautiful place.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Great pictures. I have fond memories of Smyrna Falls from my youth.

Anonymous said...

Ditto to everything Laura said!

Judi