Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Are ya sweatin' yet?

No, I'm not talking about you know what. I'm talking about the MFYs being FIVE GAMES OUT! The Yankee lineup has scored an average of 267 runs per game over the last few weeks and they've whittled away at the RS lead and are now within striking distance. All that "Oh, the Yankees won't be able to pull it off this year" talk is looking pretty silly right now. The Yankees ALWAYS do it. You are NEVER far enough ahead of the Yankees.

The Red Sox don't understand me, though. They don't understand that I don't give a fiddler's fart for Eric Gagne. I do, however, like watching Kason Gabbard pitch, and I'd have enjoyed watching him mature. He was "ours". Eric Gagne is a rented gun. He'll be gone and I won't care, even if he wins it for us. Also, they don't understand that I hate listening to Jerry Remy holler a promo for every at-bat accompanied by canned music. The NESN broadcasts are a circus. And the three principal owners don't seem to realize that the RS aren't about them. George Steinbrenner at least has the class to stay in the background. We have to hear about the latest exploits of the 3 wonder boys (John Henry's second marriage is "irretrievably broken." He and his wife will be sharing custody of their 10 yr old daughter.), and put up with incessant hucksterism.

But it's hard to argue with success, and the Red Sox have to pay the bills. It just isn't my kinda thing. I'm interviewing other teams. The yankees aren't on the list, but they have the best broadcast team by a long shot. The other day Michael Kay wondered aloud why the white Sox were wearing black jerseys when it was so hot. Al Leiter said, "Pitcher's choice." They're too busy talking about Sox Appeal and the latest giveaways to talk about baseball on NESN. The Angels broadcasters aren't bad, either.

I can't stand Julio Lugo.

He can't hit, he's the worst SS we've had in my memory, and I hate the way he talks to his bat before every pitch.

No comments: