Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Lions and zebras and giraffes, oh my!

Caleb found this link, not me, but he is too busy being a studious vet student to post it, so I will. It's a live webcam pointed at a watering hole somewhere in Africa. It has night vision, so you can see whatever might visit the watering hole 24 hours a day. (If it's in spooky-looking black and white when you visit, that's why.) A person operates the camera, so if there's something particularly interesting, you might get a closeup - see above.

So far I have seen an elephant, giraffes, antelopes, wildebeests, hornbills, a hyena or jackal that entered the frame and left too quickly to be sure what it was, and I have lost count of what else. The sounds are beautiful and hypnotizing. And once I just watched the sun come quietly up in Africa, slowly turning the frame from black and white into full color, while it was dark and cold outside here. It is mesmerizing. Thank you, Caleb!

3 comments:

Caleb said...

That's about all I've seen too, though my elephants came in herds, and I've seen things moving around at night that I thought were baboons, but might have been birds. I've heard stories of hippos, rhinos, lions, and groups of hyenas. It runs on my computer pretty much 24 hours a day.

Caleb said...

I want to go to Africa. Who's with me?

Dad said...

They have big snakes, too, right? I'd go, Caleb, as it really is hard for me to imagine what the place is really like. I'd like to see how much open space there really is, and how the people live. And the animals, too.