Saturday, October 21, 2006

Vet School Update

Well, I made it through my first round of midterms. Not all grades are in yet, but I know that my anatomy score was above average, and that I did OK on the Histology practical. Histology written and Developmental might not be such a pretty picture. But speaking of pretty pictures:
Here's our cat tree and our two foster kittens, and Sheba of course.


A couple shots of our anatomy lab on the last day of dog dissection. Parents may want to send their dogs out of the room for the next few pictures.

This is Betty.This is Betty's open thorax and abdomen.
This is me pretending to work on Betty.



This is me hiding behind Betty's rectus abdominis, internal and external obliques, and her linea alba. I should be wearing a labcoat and not having my elbows on the table. Maybe that's why I constantly smell like formaldehyde.

So now that exams are over, I'm heading out for a day long wine-tasting trip at a vineyard outside Philly. It's being led by one of the Doctors who taught us anatomy, and most of my class is going. Tomorrow I'm studying again and watching football, and then next week I have a full complement of classes before parents weekend and a Biochem exam the week after. Also, we start dissecting horses and goats next week. So it never really stops, huh.

3 comments:

Dad said...

Cool. Really cool. I hope you'll be able to cure Betty by the end of the semester.

I think I'd prefer animal cadavers to human cadavers, though I imagine you get used to either. The very last chiropractor I ever went to (to which I ever went?) said that his chiropractic school didn't have human cadavers so they used cats. I left his office in misery and drove straight to my doctor without an appointment.

I've always been struck by how Jim O'Shea greets Panda. He doesn't gush or fawn but there's something especially warm and appreciative in his voice when he sees him. Maybe it's the result of having dissected a few dogs.

Love the cat tree. I've got a single black kitten of Lily's in the barn that would look awfully good on it.

I hope you're walking to school this month.

Caleb said...

biking, actually! I hope that's OK. I realize that I use more energy than I probably would if I walked, which requires me to eat more food, which requires more of the rainforest to be cut down, but it's faster. I'm so selfish.

Dad said...

Actually. Unless your bike is in a state of disrepair (flat tires, rubbing brakes, etc.) you probably use less energy by biking rather than walking. But that doesn't change the fact that it's Walk to School month. OTOH, if you're carrying your lunch you could make the argument that you are celebrating Carry Your Lunch Month in lieu of celebrating Walk to School Month.

And I think the rainforests were all cut down in the 90s.

And you have to factor in all the energy it took to make your bicycle. Lotta fossil fuels there.