Saturday, July 29, 2006

25 Years With My Wife

So we celebrated our 25th anniversary with little fanfare and no blogging, which really reflects the fact that we've been so busy. We got away for a couple of days, saw a RS game (who goes to a RS game on their 25th? We do!), and had a lovely ride home on Route 2, reacquainting ourselves with some old haunts, and, in general, recharging some tired old batteries. But I want to say just a word about having been married for 25 years to the woman of my dreams.

Problem is, I can't put my finger on the perfect word. Thrilling and ecstatic are too transitory in meaning. Thrills and ecstacy don't last very long. Blissful is hackneyed, and bliss isn't really what it's all about anyway. I do like "tickled pink", but it doesn't do justice to 25 years.

It may be that "fulfilled" is the proper term. I get a feeling of tremendous satisfaction in knowing that we've been married for 25 mostly happy years. I'm very proud, in fact, that we've accomplished this, and very, very pleased with the place at which we've arrived after what has been a long journey. I think I'm fulfilled.

And now my wife has spent an entire week working like the devil to pull off a party for the boys. Through it all she's remained cheerful, mostly, and lovely to look at. I stand in awe, and I give thanks for my incredible good fortune.

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hm. I like "tickled pink" pretty well myself.

I can never do these loving blog posts that my husband does so handsomely, but at the very least, I can comment that this feeling is profoundly mutual.

I like the word "contented." And I think, also, of a couple of lines from the song Joe Edelberg played on his fiddle at our wedding, "Simple Gifts": "To turn, turn, will be our delight,/'Til by turning, turning, we come round right."