Tuesday, May 02, 2006

American Idol Reaction

My bet is that Elliott goes home. Two really bad song choices. The first one was just a bad song and the second one just doesn't show off any vocal talent.

Paris just doesn't do much for me anymore. Prince sucks and there's something about the tone of Paris's voice that i'm really starting to dislike. Especially in a ballad. Actually I first noticed it very early in the competition when she did some ballad, but I didn't notice it again until recently just because she stopped doing ballads. The only slower song of her's I've liked a lot this year was the jazzy one that she did.

Chris was pretty great and I think he may be the favorite to win the competition. The second song would've been perfect for him if it was a whole step lower.

Katherine was mediocre in the first song, but the second one was great. She was having genuine fun.

And then if you want to talk about having fun, nobody beats Taylor. I started cracking up when I realized he was doing Play That Funky Music White Boy. Man he's great. He doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves for his singing ability. Something in the Way She Moves was awesome too. I don't know why they don't do more Beatles songs. There should be a Beatles week. If you want to find a song that will get a great reaction from people, will make you sound good and is a perfect singer's song, you should do a Beatle's song.


Nothing, of course, is for certain but I'm kind of thinking that Elliott will go home, and then it will come down to Chris and Taylor. Katherine is too inconsistent. I'm sure lots of people love Paris, but my feeling is that the individual personality and character of Chris and Taylor gets more people wanting to call and vote for them than Paris. But don't quote me on any of this stuff.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My bet is that Paris goes home.

Mom said...

I was predicting Elliott, but Dial Idol has him in the middle and Paris (or Katharine) going home. If you look back through the weeks, Dial Idol seems to be getting more accurate. If it's correct, Taylor's going to win -- he has been first almost every week recently.

Dad said...

It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is. If you don't, it's its.
Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Lucy said...

And with that witty note on grammar, Luke was ostracized from the family, never to misplace an apostrophe in his father's presence again.

Mom said...

Oh but Lucy, if grammatically-minded parents don't teach kids these things, who will? It can't be teachers -- they are often the biggest offenders!

This is a matter of parental unanimity around this house. You must never have been around me when somebody sang "lay" in a song on the radio when they should have sung "lie."

Dad said...

Thats for sure!

Mom said...

Oh, go lay down.

Lucy said...

As someone who helped create an OM skit that used "thunk" instead of "think," I am a-okay with peole using lay in the place of lie for the sake of rhyming.

I am grateful for the grammar corrections. My parents do the same, and I feel it helps me in my attempts to be eloquent.

Mom said...

"Thunk" was intentional, amusing, and just right for that spot in the skit. You're right -- sometimes an intentional error is the way to go. "It Is Not Necessarily So" just wouldn't have the same ring, somehow.

But then there are the unintentional errors, made by those who really, really should know better. Not so long ago, the Boston Globe ran this headline in their web version:
"Pope's Body Lays in State." When I e-mailed them about it, they wrote back to insist it was correct!

We may be grammar nuts, but we probably aren't quite as badly off as George Orwell. I just read that he was once "upset for days" when a newspaper printed "verbiosity."

Anonymous said...

Seriously guys, I was right again.
Stop doubting me.
I win.

Luke Murphy said...

If there's one thing that really annoys me, it's having my grammar corrected. I don't care whether or not I accidently put an apostrophe where I shouldn't have. I'm not an idiot and I know how to use apostrophes. I just missed that one. Anyways, I can't stand it when I try to make a point about something, but all anyone can comment on is my grammar. Although it's probably not the case here, usually when someone corrects someone else's grammar they're just trying to look superior.

Scott said...

Does that mean it should be "Lie, Lady, Lie"? When the past tense of lie is lay, and past tense of lay is laid, it gets confusing (even without getting to participles). If the BG headline was talking about yesterday, lays right; if the headline says he lies there now, it's wrong. Those pesky transitive/intransitive issues!