Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Similarly




Written by Elvio, a clsssmate of Uncle Don's:




In 1969-70, Don Murphy's mother was shopping in a variety store in Northampton, MA when she saw a jig saw puzzle featuring the CG Academy. She looked more closely at the picture on the box and thought the cadet leading the company in review might be her son. To be safe, she bought two puzzles and upon assembling the puzzle at home confirmed that the Company Commander leading the troops was, in fact, her son. After looking at the assembled puzzle, Don's father also recognized the Executive Officer marching behind his son as Elvio "because he recognized my long nose". The puzzles were assembled and framed with Don's parents keeping one and Don the other. I was not aware of the existence of this puzzle until just recently. Don e-mailed me and explained that his mother was moving into an assisted living facility and didn't have room for the puzzle and would I want it. Of course I did. Don and Judy Murphy stopped by this past Sunday and presented me with one of the puzzles. It's in great shape and I have an empty wall in my den for hanging it. Upon looking closely, I also recognize Tony Alejandro, Ron Mers and Alex Blanton as the Platoon Commanders. As far as I know, this puzzle was not offered for sale in the Cadet Store or other Academy venues. The photo was obviously taken by a professional photographer but why F-troop? Maybe the reputation of "Fabulous Foxtrot" for military bearing and precision was the deciding factor. Why was this puzzle being sold in Don Murphy's home town? Due to Don's Mom chance encounter I think it is a touching story and worthy of "Believe It or Not"




No comments: