Monday, December 22, 2008

Tax Dollars at work, part II

This from my milkroom supplier: They had been having trouble getting paid by a "government-supported" farmer for supplies that they had given him. The USDA loans money to "farmers" who can't get money from normal sources like banks because, you know, the poor farmer needs help. This fella had been given money not once, but twice, the second time when he couldn't pay back the first. My supplier's partner went to the farm and found the barn locked up and the cows bawling inside. He contacted the local FHA banker and the starving cows were removed that day. The manure in the barn was a couple of feet high.

I'm not an animal lover and I don't think they have any rights. But the thought of a cow chained in a barn and not able to get food makes me ill. And to think that we as a people support "farmers" like this one makes me sicker still.

1 comment:

Luke Murphy said...

Ya know, we spend all this money for bailouts on the big time CEOs, but nobody cares about the little guy farmers! Oh, wait...